Monday, July 08, 2013

Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes and Icing

I just used box cake mixes to save on time.  I did however make some stabilized whipped cream icing (which is at the end).  It was so yummy.  I think cool whip sells some now but we would never be able to find something like that in the stores near us.  The cupcakes were so easy to make.  The cones stand up well all on their own, just be careful when moving the pan in which they are standing.  I filled them anywhere from 2/3 to close to 5/8 full because I wanted to see which turned out best.  I think the 3/4 full cones turned out best, but it is kind of hard to get that close.  And it fills more than I was expecting.  One box of cake mix filled all these plus more than one additional cupcake pan.  But the icing recipe covered this amount of cones.



 
Stabilized Whipped Cream Icing
1 cup of heavy cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
4 tsp of cold water
1 tsp of unflavored gelatin
1/2 tsp of vanilla (I used the regular stuff without any color issue)
Dissolve gelatin in warm water.  Can do this is microwave in 20 sec intervals if desired.
Whip cream, sugar, and vanilla until slightly thickened. 
Then beat slowly while gradually adding gelatin to whipped cream mixture. 
Whip at high speed until stiff
Makes 2 cups of icing.

No comments: