Sunday, September 15, 2013

From Wedding to Baptism: Using a wedding dress

So way back when I was planning the wedding, I read one of those bride magazines.  It was really the only one that I read because I am not the sort to read that stuff.  Anyway, I read the idea of using your wedding dress as your child's baptism (christening) outfit.  I decided at that point that if we were blessed with a child, this is what I would be doing with my dress.  Of course I did not really think it would happen, so I went ahead and did the antiquing thing with the dress.  Now, five years later, we have three kiddos and each of them had a special outfit for their special day.

This is my wedding dress, although mine was champagne instead of green.



My mom made the outfits for me.  I am still not a seamstress with talent for more than simple stitches.  I picked out the pattern I liked, and she started cutting up the dress for a boy and a girl outfit (we did not find out the sex with the first). 

This is a headband made with material from the dress as well.
 
Then the second was another girl so she had to get creative with a second girls dress.  The top and underlining are just a white cotton material.  The sleeves and top layer of the dress are from the wedding dress.

Then we had a boy and she put together the material cut from the first one. 
 
Now all of the dress has been used, and each child has something that hopefully will be passed down unlike the wedding dress.

No comments: