Sunday, September 15, 2013

Melted Crayon Art

I had this idea in my mind for a while now.  I finally had an occasion to do it and it turned out well.  I have read and seen how not everyone's ended up as nice as all those others.  I'm glad that was not the case for me.  I used a very small travel hair dryer since that is all I have.  The heat was enough and all I had to do was make the wax go down.  Not all of the crayons melted well, but they still turned out working just fine. 
 
I did it all after the kids went to bed and I was done cleaning the day away.  I don't stay up too late so it probably took somewhere between 30 minutes to an hour for everything, including cutting and tearing the crayon paper off.
 
I wanted a picture of the man and woman to be in the crayon wax so I cut out what I wanted and glued that down before melting the crayons.  Then most of the wax went around the image and I was able to easily glue a clean image on top for the look I was going for.  It took a bit more hot glue than I thought to keep all of the crayons in place.  I also only used half crayons above the silhouette because I wanted to minimize the amount of wax in that area.  As you can see later it didn't really seem to matter much.
 
I put the canvas in a paper bag when melting the wax.  I just wasn't sure how messy it would be.  It did end up going over the sides and bottom so I was glad I put the whole thing in a bag since I was working inside.  I am sure that keeping the blow dryer aimed straight down the whole time would have kept it from going over the sides as much.
 
 
This is what I looked like when I finally stopped heating it up.  I could have melted a lot more of the wax but was happy with the look at that point.
 
Then I put a white cutout of the silhouette over the green so it would really look how I wanted it to.  All in all I was happy with my first go of it.  If I ever do it again I will probably make sure to melt all of the crayons more because it would probably be a better finished look.

No comments: